top of page

Crawley Town held by Newport on a cold Tuesday night in Sussex

By Ben Lyons

Crawley Town FC went into this clash with a lot of confidence after their 1-0 away win to Barrow on Saturday. Crawley boss John Yems started an unchanged eleven from the win on Saturday which was the reds first win in 7 games. The visitors, Newport County, also came into the game with confidence being 8th in the League.

It was Newport who started strong with a lot of possession and pressure on the Crawley back line in the first twenty five minutes with crosses aimed for the veteran Kevin Ellison who is very good in the air. The 42 year old was the main point of the visitors attack. However Crawley began to grow into the game with counter attacks that were scaring the Newport back line. Former Crystal Palace striker Kwesi Appiah came close in the 30th minute who struck the ball into the side netting coming close for the reds. Both sides were looking for the first goal before the whistle went for the break. Just before the half time interval, Newport County were denied a penalty when Aaron Lewis hit the deck, but referee Sam Allison refused to give the Penalty Newport’s way.


After the interval, both sides came out to try and snatch the win. It was Crawley who had a spring in their step and dominated the majority of the second half. In the 56th minute inform winger James Tilley won a foul on the edge of the penalty area on the right hand side. Jack Powell whipped in a delightful cross which met the head of Kwesi Appiah who nodded it into the back of Newport’s net putting the reds one goal ahead. Crawley tried to add a second with substitutes Will Ferry and Reece Grego-Cox who both had shots stopped by Newport’s goalkeeper Day into good saves.

Cheltenham Image 1.jpg

Crawleys intensity dropped allowing the visitors to push forward, the visitors attacked Crawley down the right flank making it to the by-line cutting it back to striker Telford who netted Newport’s first shot on target making it one a piece with only 5 minutes to go. The home side didn't give up and were pushing for the win in the dying embers of the game. Crawley almost stole the win when Appiah chipped the keeper; however it bounced off the bar into Day's gloves. The match ended 1-1 with Crawley being disappointed they didn't get two wins on the bounce. John Yems and his side will now have their sights set on Saturday when Mansfield come to town.

bottom of page