top of page

Harlow Town advance into the next round of the Essex Senior cup beating Basildon United 3-2

By Kieron Aulakh

Harlow Town managed to defeat Basildon United 3-2 following a winning goal in the last 5 minutes of the game, to take them into the round of 32 of the Essex senior cup.

Harlow Town started the game extremely well, passing it around and controlling the tempo of the game. Leaving Basildon United chasing shadows. The home side made their early domination count with a with a low cross into the box from the right hand side with the number 12 slotting the ball into the bottom left corner. The goal came within the first 15 minutes of the first half.

The home side continued their positive start in the first half by keeping majority of the ball with Basildon United lost for idea’s. Harlow Town was all over Basildon United until the first half was coming to an end, when Basildon United slowly pushing up the pitch, gaining corners and free kicks around Harlow Town’s box. Basildon united ended the toothless first half on top out of the two teams.

Going into the second half it started as the first with Harlow Town setting the tempo of the game and quickly after the second half had just started they got their second. With a deflected cross fell to the feet of Harlow’s number 9 inside the six yard box, with the striker calmly slotting the ball first time into the back of the net.

With the second half starting like the first Basildon United was getting closer to being completely dominated the whole game with little to no chances, however instantly the away team’s striker had a stunning effort that went into the roof of the net, with the goalkeeper having no chance. The goal came out of no where and from Basildon United’s perspective the game was back on.

Entering the last 20 minutes of the game with Basildon United chasing an equaliser a meaningless shot was taken outside the box with the Goal Keeper struck by surprise with the ball going the a bunch of players attempting the block the ball. The ball got parried but the Basildon United attacker was the first to react with an open goal to blast the equalising goal into Harlow Town’s goal.

With Harlow Town being in control of the game until the first Basildon United goal went in is now drawing With the game risking of going into extra time. In which at the beginning of the game and based off of the performance of both teams wouldn’t of been a thought. Entering the last 5 minutes of the game including additional time and Harlow was pushing for the winner. The ball broke to the central midfielder on the left side of the pitch and put a dangerous cross which the keeper had full faith he can gather, but the ball went in-between his hands and feel to the fortunate Harlow Town attacker with an open goal bearing in his face. 3-2 Harlow Town.

With the game having no longer than 4 minutes added on Harlow needed to hold on and hold on they did, brilliant time management by holding the ball in the corner and slowing the game down by just keeping possession of the ball high up the pitch. After the game The Harlow Town’s goalkeeper was offered and interview and fortunately complied.

The game left Harlow Town being proud and looking forward to the Christmas period and the new year with a potential cup run being in place and with the league being 6 points off of the play off’s this win could give them the momentum they need to reach the playoff’s and continue their goof form in the cup. With Basildon United, they only have the league to focus on, with them being 3 positions lower than Harlow Town could the cup be a distraction for Harlow Town leading Basildon United to leap over them in the table


Cheltenham Image 1.jpg

bottom of page