top of page

Match Report: Boreham Wood 1-1 Notts County

By Calum Forster

A second-half equaliser from Tyrone Marsh helped Boreham Wood to gain a point against Notts County at the LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park and stretches the Wood’s unbeaten run to six games in all competitions.

Luke Garrard’s Boreham Wood side came into this game sitting in second place after an emphatic 4-0 win against Maidenhead. Garrard was forced into one change from the team that played Maidenhead, Frankie Raymond coming in for the injured Josh Rees.

After a disappointing 2-0 defeat last time out against Eastleigh for Notts County, Ian Burchall’s team came into this game in sixth place and made one change to the team with Connell Rawlinson out through Injury he was replaced by Alex Lacey in the Magpies back four.


"Borehamwood Football Club" by Kieran Clarke is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Notts County broke the deadlock just past the half hour mark after the Magpies top scorer Ruben Rodrigues got on the end of a Callum Roberts cross and headed the ball past goalkeeper Taye Ashby-Hammond. Notts county carried on dictating the play in the first half but were not able to add to their 1-0 lead. The Wood were lucky to hold out and go in only 1-0 at half time after a strong display from Notts County.

Luke Garrads side started the second half like a completely different team which had been playing in the first half but were playing like the Boreham Wood side that had been on show for the previous sixteen games of the season.

The Wood had much more energy on the ball and more purpose in their play. Tyrone Marsh hit the woodwork early on with a mishit cross.

An introduction for Dennon Lewis on the hour mark gave Boreham Wood extra momentum to get back in the game and kept Notts County on thin ice. On the Sixty-fourth minute the Wood had their equaliser thanks to Tyrone Marsh, Mark Ricketts ball somehow ended up at the feet of Marsh and he was able to bury the ball in the far corner. With complaints from the Notts county players over a handball in the build up to the Woods goals, referee Lewis Smith was not interested and gave the Wood their goal.

The Wood looked to push on and try and claim three points but both sides looked dangerous on the break and neither side were willing to risk the chance of losing the game. Both sides had good chances to score a second and take all three points. After four minutes of injury time referee Lewis Smith blew his whistle for full time and the game ended well-earned point for both sides.
The Wood maintain their unbeaten home record and stay in second place with a trip to Grimsby next on the cards and Notts County stay in sixth place with Dagenham and Redbridge next up.

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond, Evans, Stephens, Fyfield, Mendy Mendy, K Smith, Ricketts, Raymond, Mafuta (Lewis 62), Boden (Clifton 87), Marsh.
Subs not used: Green, Comley, Smith.
Notts County: Slocombe, Cameron, Lacey, Brindley, Taylor, Kelly-Evans, Palmer, Roberts (Mitchell 68), Vincent, Rodrigues, Wootton.
Subs not used: Brooks, Chicksen, Francis, Sam

Referee: Lewis Smith
Attendance: 821

Cheltenham Image 1.jpg

bottom of page