top of page

Spring Cup Week 4 Match Reports - Sun

By Lauryn Fuller

Sun Mar-07 Telford v Swindon

The Wildcats found themselves at the receiving end of a 9-2 defeat on Saturday at the hands of the Telford Tigers. With a chance to make amends, the Swindon Wildcats needed to come into this fixture all guns blazing.

Swindon held some good possession in the opening minutes of this re match. However, the Tigers were the first to strike, with the opening goal coming from Ross Venus. A powerplay for Telford lead to their second goal, this time coming from Captain Jason Silverthorn. The end of the first period saw the Tigers only leading by two goals.


Only 40 seconds in to the second period, the Tigers found their third goal of the game, once again coming from Captain Silverthorn. Benjamin Nethersell opened up the scoring for the Wildcats, scoring on a powerplay and making the score 3-1. The second period finished like that with neither team able to find more goals from their plays.

The third period started with the score line still very tight. The Tigers faced a match penalty for Cole Shudra, who was ejected from the game for kicking. This on top of another penalty for Telford saw the Wildcats on a 5 on 3 powerplay. This led to the cats closing the game to just one goal.

A short-handed goal from David Clements saw the Tigers retake the two-goal lead. This final period saw three more un-answered goals for the Telford Tigers. At the final buzzer the Wildcats once again found themselves at the end of a heavy defeat. This 7-2 victory for the Tigers finished off a goal ridden weekend of hockey.

Next weekend will see the Tigers faceoff against the Sheffield Steeldogs and the Swindon Wildcats will try and improve from this weekend against the Raiders.

Sun Mar-07 Bees v Sheffield

Saturday’s fixture between these two teams saw a heavy 7-0 defeat for the Bracknell Bee’s. Sunday’s will see the Bee’s host the Sheffield Steeldogs, who will be eager to try make it a perfect weekend.

The Steeldogs were the first to strike in the first period, with Jason Hewitt opening the scoring. The Bee’s responded immediately, with Joshua Martin tying the score line. A powerplay opportunity was handed to the Dog’s, who capitalised and took the lead once again. Again, the Bees were able to answer back with s goal of their own through Ciaran Long. A second goal for Hewitt saw the Steeldogs go into the first intermission with a 3-2 lead.

It took the Steeldogs 30 seconds at the beginning of the second period to extend their lead. They followed this up with three more goals in the period, with the score now at 7-2. The Bees were able to find their third of the game via Joshua Kelly, to see the second period finish 7-3.

The score line left the Bees with a lot of work if they wanted to grab a point from the Steeldogs. They were the first to get on the score board in the final period, but it was quickly followed by another for the Steeldogs which completed the Hat trick for Liam Kirk.

Two more un-answered goals for the steel dogs saw them push the score to 10-4 with six minutes left to play in the final period. The Steeldogs were happy to see out the victory and kept the Bee’s at bay until the final buzzer.

To back-to-back goal fests see the Sheffield Steeldogs complete another 4-point weekend. With another series hat trick for Liam Kirk, who will be a hot target for the upcoming Elite Series Draft.

bottom of page